Blossoms in the North Seattle College courtyard
SEATTLE, WA JUNE 29, 2022
You see more sunshine now. It’s warmer, and there are more people outside walking, jogging, and having picnics. Boats have returned to Green Lake. Summer is here, and summer quarter has begun! While you’re enjoying the great weather, check in online or stop by the Student Learning Center for tutoring that will help you succeed in your course work.
We’ll have plenty of sessions and workshops to offer, including face-to-face help for you.
We started tutoring on June 29 and will be open most days of the week through August 18, with free tutoring for registered students. We’ll help with language, math, science, business, computer science, accounting and business courses and other subjects.
Most tutoring will still be done online because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Online tutoring is different for many of you, but we’ve been doing it for more than two years, and it works. Tutors will be on duty five days a week in both the Math & Science Learning Center and the Page One Writing & Language Center for English and writing tutoring. The Professional and Technical Learning Center, for accounting, business, economics and computer science tutoring, will offer online tutoring and wil be open four days a week.
But we’re also keeping our English and math/science tutoring centers open again so you can also get tutoring in person. The tutoring center on campus is on the first floor of the Health Sciences and Student Resources Building on campus.
Face-to-face tutoring will be offered four days a week through the Math and Science Center and four days a week at the Page One Center; those sessions will be held in Room 1634 of the Health Sciences & Student Resources Building.
Either way — by using Zoom or dropping in — talk to us, and let us help you learn.
One note: If you come in for face-to-face tutoring at the language or math centers we recommend that you wear a face mask. If you plan to visit campus, check out the COVID vaccination requirements at
And be sure to write an online report about your health conditions every day you plan to come to campus, at
Here are summer opening dates and daily hours for each tutoring center:
ACCOUNTING, BUSINESS, and COMPUTER SCIENCE
The Professional and Technical Learning Center will open Tuesday, July 5, for online tutoring. Hours will be from 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, from 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Wednesday, and, on Thursday, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The center will be closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
The center tutors accounting, business, computer science, and economics.
Tutoring for IT 102 and IT 125 is by appointment, from classroom instructions, and is available only to students registered in the class.
Check for other information about this center online at https://northseattle.edu/tutoring/accounting-business-tutoring
BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY Biology, chemistry and anatomy and physiology tutoring will be offered in the Math and Science Learning Center.
Check for other information about this center online at https://northseattle.edu/tutoring/biology-chemistry-tutoring
* MATH and SCIENCE
The Math & Science Learning Center will open for the quarter on June 29.
Hours for online tutoring will be from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, and from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday.
In-person tutoring will be offered from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Room 1634 of the Health Sciences & Student Resources Building. The center will be closed Friday and Saturday.
This center provides tutoring for pre-college and 100 level math, computer science, physics and chemistry classes.
Check for other information about this center online at
* WRITING and GRAMMAR
The Page One Writing & Language Center will open June 29. That day and on June 30, only online tutoring will be offered, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The center will be closed for the holiday on Monday, July 4. But starting July 3, regular hours for summer quarter for online tutoring will be from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday, 11:00 am, to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thursday, and from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday. All Sunday tutoring will be online.
Starting July 5, face-to-face tutoring will be offered from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, also in Room 1634 of the Health Sciences & Student Resources Building. The center will be closed Friday and Saturday.
Starting Tuesday, July 5, the center will resume group tutoring sessionsonline for international students and for those taking courses in English as a second language. Under Courses in Canvas you will find links to “online workshops” on the page entitled, “Student Learning Center – Online Tutoring and Learning Support for Students.” On that page, sign in to the Learning Center and then click on the title of the workshop you want to attend.
Nine of them are offered this quarter, all online, through August 11:
* ESL Games, using vocabulary, grammar, and stories, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Monday. Attendees will win a game by improving their English.
* To improve English writing skills, “Writing Basics,” from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday.
* For conversational development: Three “Talk Time” workshops. One will be from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 pm on Tuesday, another from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday. The third one, designed for Level 1 and 2 ESL students, will be from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sunday. Students will discuss current events and other subjects, to practice English.
* “Focus on Reading,” from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Thursday.
The center tutors for all English classes and offers assistance for speaking, pronunciation, college transfer applications, and any student writing work that is related to their classes or their college education.
Check for other information about this center online at https://northseattle.edu/tutoring/page-one-writing-language-center
WORLD LANGUAGES. Tutoring is available on weekdays for American Sign Language (ASL), Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish. Hours are different for individual tutors; check the printed schedules posted in the lobby of the tutoring center, or read the world language website at:http://webshare.northseattle.edu/Student%20Learning%20Center/World%20Languages%20Schedule.htm
For other dates, look at the Student Learning Center calendar, at: http://webshares.northseattle.edu/Student%20Learning%20Center/Student%20Learning%20Center%20%20Calendar.htm
HOW TO GET ONLINE TUTORING
You can get online tutors several ways.
* Zoom Tutoring, the newest and quickest way to reach North Seattle tutors. It uses the Zoom online conferencing program. First you log into the tutoring center at slc.northseattle.edu. Then you get to Zoom tutoring by logging into Canvas (https://canvas.northseattle.edu/courses/1935008) and then clicking on “Courses.” From there you click on the link titled “Student Learning Center – Online Tutoring and Learning Support for Students.” On that page you’ll find technical suggestions. There are also links to the tutoring center you want. Once you get the right center, click “Enter the tutoring room” and wait for the host to start the meeting and let you in. You’ll be placed in an online “breakout room,” where the next available tutor will join you and start the session (If you need to wait for a tutor, someone will tell you).
* Submit a piece of writing online. Tutors will review it and return it with comments and suggestions, generally within 48 hours. This quarter you can begin submitting your work online on July 6. Check it out at
* e-Tutoring, which connects you with tutors in a variety of locations.
Find it at https://northseattle.edu/tutoring/e-tutoring
To access your e-Tutoring account:
• Go to eTutoringonline.org
• Click “Login Now” on the right side of the screen.
• Select “Western e-Tutoring Consortium” from the menu on the left side of the screen.
• Choose North Seattle College from the Select Your Institution Menu on the right side of the screen.
• Enter two items in the “Login Here” box: Username: (your NSC Student ID Number) and a password: SUCCESS
IF YOU NEED ACCESS TO A COMPUTER, the college has laptops available. You can obtain one by contacting three college staff members: D’Andre Fisher (Dandre.Fisher@seattlecolleges.edu), Christie Santos (Christie.email@example.com), or Ann Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you need assistance using a computer you can get it online at https://canvas.northseattle.edu/courses/1935008/pages/general-computer-tutoring
Computer tutors are available through Zoom to help you in math, physics, chemistry, statistics and computer science.
A tutoring calendar and hours are at https://northseattle.edu/tutoring/slc-hours-operation-and-calendar.
Check out our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Student-Learning-Center-at-North-Seattle-College-108724410807477/?modal=admin_todo_tour